Forklift Maintenance – Plan and Prevent
International Forklift Company feels that it is our duty and obligation to keep our customers informed of ways to reduce the cost of operating their material handling fleets.
Forklifts have become safer and more productive due to the technological improvements built into the power train of the vehicle. Planned or preventive lift truck maintenance therefore has become even more critical
Engines, transmissions and differentials on these units are being built with closer tolerances on the components. As these units have become more reliable and productive because of these advancements, we need to assure that the manufacturer’s recommended frequency of changing these lubricants are followed. Most manufacturers require that lubricants be changed at certain intervals using the recommended lubricants for their products. Dirty or burnt transmission or differential fluids will cause parts to wear out prematurely and restrict the oil flow through the very small orifices in the valves. Most failures in these units can be traced back to the lack of maintenance provided.
In these challenging times we all need to be aware of the cost of doing business, Planned Maintenance has to be done in a careful, organized manner by trained technicians, it is insurance against larger costs down the line in lost productivity and unexpected large repairs.
IFC and its Planned Maintenance Program can work to insure that your maintenance costs are controlled, your equipment’s up-time is maximized, and that the overall cost of operating your lift truck is kept to a minimum.
Forklift Truck Maintenance Program Highlights
We approach Planned Maintenance with:
- Journeyman Field and Shop technicians
- Computerized scheduling
- Customized Programs
- Well stocked and equipped service vehicles
- These are the points covered during your truck maintenance call
- Ask for Operator concerns/input
- Clean Machine
- Clean Grease Fillings and Lubricate
- Check Upright Assembly
- Check Parking Brake Operation
- Check Service Brake Operation
- Check/Fill Master Cylinder
- Inspect Brake Pedal Linkage
- Inspect Hydraulic Cylinders and Hoses
- Check Tilt Cylinder Anchors
- Inspect tires
- Clean or replace hydraulic sump breather
- Check and lubricate shafts and levers
- Check steering for operation
- Check lights, horns, backup alarm and gauges
- Inspect data plate and decals
- Inspect safety seat belts and hood latch
- Visually inspect Load back rest and Overhead guard
- Check battery; add water and clean (may require additional labor hours to add water)
- Check battery cables and receptacles
- Check/fill transmission/differential oil levels
- Check/fill hydraulic oil level.
- Check Fork Wear/Chain Wear/Carriage wear
Gas and Propane Units:
- Blow out radiator core with compressed air
- Change oil and filter element
- Check air filter; inspect hose and connection
- Check fuel, oil, water system; antifreeze
- Check engine vent pipe
- Check all accessory drive belts
- Check carburetor
- Inspect clutch/inching pedal and linkage
- Check neutral start switch
- Check contactor assemblies
- Check wiring condition
- Check switches
- Check operation of forward, reverse, and 1A
- Check load wheels and lift linkage
- Check caster wheels
- Reach cylinder bearings
- Check drive motor brushes and commutator
- Check hydraulic motor brushes and commutator
- Check power steering motor brushes and commutator
- Blow out motors with compressed air
- Inspect Power Cables
- Brush Condition
- Check and fill drive unit
- Check Radial Rings and Thrust Bearing Adjustment
- Check steering linkage and steer chain adjustment
Get ahead of costly repairs, downtime, and lost productivity with true quality in forklift maintenance. Call on our experienced customer service representatives for a no cost, no commitment evaluation of your present service needs.
Benefit from a lift truck planned maintenance program through IFC.
“Personal service is more than a catch phrase at IFC, it is what sets us apart, and insures you that you are getting what was promised.”
Call us today, or simply fill out the contact form below. We look forward to partnering with you and your forklift maintenance concerns and showing you what a International Forklift driven planned maintenance program can bring you.